So, THIS is what a "Writer's Block" feels like?!


The little clock in the corner of my screen reads 00:37. Slowly yet steadily it keeps counting down the minutes as they pass by... A subtle reminder of the amount of time by which I missed my deadline for the week’s post... 38 minutes have now passed and it is tomorrow and here I am... With no weekly post but loads of ideas are just swimming languidly in my mind, but none seem to be making their way through to the tips of my fingers where I can shake them off and make them (big) words... But I am determined... Anyway, for me tomorrow begins only after I’ve had my goodnight’s sleep, and as droopy as my eyes maybe and as sluggish as my fingers maybe, I just refuse to let tomorrow dawn until I have written my post for the week...

10 Minutes have passed and all that I have accomplished is not dozing off while watching the cursor flicker with a consistent rhythm on my screen... Somehow it seems to be in sync with the music that’s playing... It’s almost like it’s dancing one same steady step to every beat that plays on iTunes... Fascinating...! Oh! Look! There it goes again...

7 Minutes Later
Well, happy realisation to me! If I have to get this written and posted while it’s still today I really must stop imagining the cursor dance (but it was funny!)...
Question: Would it still be day dreaming if I’m doing it in the middle of the night? Oooh! Which reminds me of another doubt I had... will it be 3 in the morning or 3 in the night?? Even Wikipedia’s unsure... “Morning is the part of the day usually reckoned from either midnight or dawn to noon...” Hmpf!

Another 12 Minutes
Ok, so let me try Random Observations Have you ever noticed that infants have some sort of elaborate telepathic, coded communication system which ONLY they understand? How else do you explain why ALL kids within a given area (say a Train Compartment – that’s where I noticed this phenomenon thrice) begin crying at around the same instant...? One usually takes the initiative and the others promptly follow... Ok, I’m done with random observations...

About 7.5 Minutes Forward
Is there a career for writing “Quotes”? I mean what did Oscar Wilde do for a living? Ok, THAT was a JOKE... But, seriously, it would be so cool to invent “Quotable Quotes” and sell them to silly celebrities & politicians who suffer from “Foot in Mouth” disease... I could make a business of it... For example, “There’s SENSE even in NONSENSE”! Hmmm...

Almost Instantaneously
You know what this is? This is a classic case of Writer’s Block... Wikipedia knows the precise definition to this one: Writer's block is a phenomenon involving temporary loss of ability to begin or continue writing, usually due to lack of inspiration or creativity. Hey and look! Wiki’s very considerately provided solutions too. Ok, so lets see...

1. Scheduling time to write and work, regardless of the quality of the output.Well, Duh! THIS is exactly what I’m doing...! And I’m sure you would agree that I took the “regardless of quality” part a bit too literally...

2. Engaging in brief periods of "freewriting" or "mindwriting," in which people impulsively write whatever comes to mind.Hah! Again, I’m there, doing that (Present Tense of “Been there, Done that”! Maybe my creativity’s coming back!)

3. Taking a break, meditating, or doing relaxation exercises to relieve any pressure on oneself and on the writing.Good Idea! Maybe I should try slooooow breathe iiiiiinnnnn.... slooooow breathe oooooout... Brb!

Bees (20) Minute Baad
Ok! Random Observation 2: Slow Breathing in the middle of the night makes me sleepy, but chocolates work... So, maybe I should refer back to Wikipedia...

4. Returning to the writing after a lapse of a day or two.NO WAY! Sorry... Can’t do... a deadline is a deadline is a deadline...

5. Going out to get some fresh air.What! Do you know what time it is? My trusty clock says 1:45... Maybe I’ll just open the windows...

6. Set your writing down, go out and do something (something that will keep you busy) and then come back in a few hours with a fresh mind.I DON’T have that kind of time, you moron! What are you trying to do? Sabotage my weekly-posting spree...

7. Listen to music.ALWAYS! And now that the window is open, the wind-chimes are also happily chiming!

Wait! What’s that?! I can just feel the wheels in my head turning...
I wander around many a dreary alley,SENTENCES are beginning to come together...
But in the mournful darkness there’s nothing I can see...And what do you know! IT RHYMES! OK, I’m on a roll here...!

I wander around many a dreary alley,
But in the mournful gloom there’s nothing I can see...
Every turn I take lead me to a dead-end
Blank is my mind...
Into more darkness I descend.

I search for a way out,
But every step is shrouded in doubt.
There must be a road that cuts through this haze...
There was an idea, now it’s lost!
I’m still hopelessly stuck in this maze.

I desperately knock on every door
The unknown I’m ready to explore
They are shut tight, secure behind a resilient lock
In vain I try but no door I can breakdown
So, this is what it feels like to suffer from Writer’s Block!

OK! I wrote a poem on writer’s block! Now, THAT’s ironic...! Anyway, with my self-satisfied smirk in place, I’m off to go catch up on some sweet dreams... Until next week..!

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm...Its good that writer's block bring out a writer in u...ofcourse in a different manner...And I didnt have any reader's block while reading it..

    Liked it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well,a long post plus a poem on writer's block and tht too in the middle of the night!! that's joanne! It made a good read to c the way in whch ur mind productively works evn durng a "block"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey that was nice...a poem on writer's block... the watch goes tick-tock... words unlock at 1 o'clock ...girl u rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Writer's block... Well I wanna borrow some from you, if that is what the output you get being in one..

    I never thought of setting a deadline for a post, but now i believe its a good discipline to follow, unlike the kids in your boogie observation, I want to credit you for teaching me some antics. There are very few people that I admire for their writing and I find your work as ironically refreshing as hackneyed my compliments sound.

    Keep writing... I'll keep learning post by post, week by week...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey... Yo, Smi and Aki.. Thank you for commenting week after week... I guess, in some way, your comments encourage me to overcome my writer's blocks!

    And insolace! Aarif, I am truly flattered... Thank you so much... I truly am glad that you enjoyed the post so much!

    ReplyDelete