Waiting for Santa...


I remember scenes of a time long past -
Memories of a far away winter night,
As my parents wish me sweet dreams,
Instructing me to sleep tight!
They carefully tuck me in and give me a peck on my cheek,
I pretend to have dozed off but I am still aware
As the lights go off & the door closes with a creak.

It’s Christmas time - the merry festive season,

And I can barely sleep – Santa is the reason!
I can’t wait to draw the curtains and sneak a peep,
But I know I have to patiently wait till my parents are asleep!

My fidgety eyes glance around the dark room -

To check that all is in order - Santa will be visiting soon.
The adorned tree first I admire,
Decked with trinkets in red, gold and sapphire!
With pretty wreaths and bells the walls are decorated,
An angel watches over the solemn crib, while Santa’s arrival is eagerly awaited.
Soon, I realize that the house is quiet and dark
The only light that shines comes from the star hung in the window
On my night-long vigil I can now fearlessly embark,
My parents are finally asleep, I know!

All too soon my covers are shoved aside

And I rush to push open the drape
And behind the curtains I hide,
To stare out into the cool landscape!
I can see little lights in homes glimmering
And can hear the distant hum of a Christmas Carol
As The stars in the night sky are shimmering
I await Santa’s imminent arrival.

I tire of sitting by the window,

It's way past midnight but he still hasn’t come
I refuse to let my spirits dip low
I find other things to keep me from growing glum!
My Kitchen Set and Pretty Doll keep me busy for awhile,
Santa got me those for last Christmas, you know…
He’ll be proud of me - I’ve cared for them in style!

More time goes by with no sign of Santa,

And I soon tire of my toys.
I sneak into the kitchen to get some sweets,
I’m very careful to make no noise!
I assure myself that Santa will overlook this little act
As I slowly devour the marzipan and chocolate.
I’ve been a very good girl all year round – and that’s a fact!
I pretend to be a fairy with my sheets draped around me,
But that doesn’t keep me busy for too long.
I wonder what I should do next while I wait for Santa…
I sing a few Carols, hum a happy song!

But that doesn’t lift my spirits…

Soon I’m too weary but Santa still isn’t here…
I lose the battle against sleep and my tired eyes given in.
I lose myself in a fretful dream – Santa won’t come I fear.

Every Christmas eve till I was 11 years old was spent quite the same way. I’d first frantically wait for my parents to fall asleep and then I’d wait frantically for Santa to arrive on his sleigh with Rudolph the red-nose reindeer leading the entourage of reindeers! I’d imagine Santa, in his bright red suit with his bright red big goodie bag, trying to squeeze through the box-grills that protected our windows -not half as exciting as shimmying down a chimney, I agree! But unfortunately sleep would arrive before Santa each year.


In the mornings, however, I’d wake to the sounds of Christmas carols and my parents cooing “Merry Christmas” to me. And the first sights that I would take in would be my little brother happily playing with his new toys with the colourful wrapping paper littered around him. That’s when I’d realise happily that Santa had not given our humble home a miss this year! I really must’ve been a good girl!


Now, however, that I am older and mature with all the wisdom gained from reading Paulo Coelho, I know how silly and futile it was to wait for Santa each Christmas.


Of course Santa isn’t real? Or is he???


I think Santa does exist… only he doesn’t live in the North Pole – he resides within each one of us – in our inherent goodness! And we don’t need to wait for Christmas in order to make someone’s day. We can do it anytime – a smile, a polite request, a heartfelt thank you, a sincere apology, a kind word, a pep talk, a silly joke, a thoughtful act, a sweet surprise… Ho! Ho! Ho!

4 comments:

  1. An amazing description of the pristine..unadultered feelin tat each 1 of us must have felt after after having heard the jinglin bells..A piece that captures the essence of innocence and showcases the literally skills as well.....WOW......I m impressed!!
    n i cant believe u tht up of sumthg so beautiful not bcoz i thk u r incapable but bcoz its jus 2 damned beautiful even 4 ur stds!! My Christmas is made...I am blessed with the feeling of expectation...a revival of faith once again....this 1 touched my heart...loved it.....thanks 2 u...i smiled..muah...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can i say tht wud make ths article evn more readable? its simply amazng tht jo has captured the innocence,feelngs and desires of a 11 yr old and blend it wid the maturity of a 22 yr old while endng ths article!!!The sentence whrein she says abt a santa residing in each of us fills u wid an overwhelmg feelng of actually being a santa fr someone!!!Simply loved it fr its pure joy to read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the fact that none of us have seen Santa. Sometimes our imaginations give us the utmost joy. The fluffy, white, round Santa with loads of gifts and oodles of warmth -Mmmmmm, who wouldn't love that image? :)

    Santa exists. He sure does. In our imaginations. And there's no regrettable fact there. :D

    I like your constructive thought process. It's not a chaos. And it allows readers to just take it as it comes. The beginning, the middle and the end. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like and endorse the idea that Santa in in our hearts...and its he who keeps our heart warm in this cold cold christmas :)

    MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete