Banishing Boredom...


I now seem to be best pals with boredom
My constant companion it has become

It accompanies me in every waking moment
Thanks to it I know many a meaningless thing
Like the capital of Uzbekistan is Tashkent!

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
Denotes a deep fear of long words
It is boredom who introduced me to this ironic idea

But, Boredom can be quite the opposite of fun
It has the knack of depressing me
Nothing seems interesting, good cheer comes undone

Boredom is the restlessness in my fingers
As I flick buttons on the TV remote
So that no channel lingers

Boredom is the curiosity in my mind
As I flip to the end of the book prematurely
A happily ever after to hopefully find

Boredom is the constant distraction
That makes me stare at the computer for hours
Accomplishing nothing, leading no work to completion

Boredom is the absent mindedness
That makes me twirl the telephone wire
While conversations with friends digress

I’ve had enough of this
Be gone oh Boredom!
If it is to be it is up to me, I realize
The day will be what I want it to become

The pen is mightier than the sword they say
I pick it up to fight away my once friend – now nemesis
I will not sit idle – I will make the most of my day
Goodbye to boredom, there will no longer be ignorant bliss.

7 comments:

  1. Arey!!
    Abhi toh 'Befriend' kiya tha...
    Itni jaldi 'Banish' kar rahi hai?

    Good thoughts, jo...
    helped banish my boredom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nice poem..thanks for introducing me to a new word...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its strange that a person who eliminates boredom from others lives did write 2 poems on boredom!!!
    And dictionary.com should put an advertisement banner on ur blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OYE HOYE!!! kudiye tussi ne to "Banishing Boredom" likh ke sadda boredom VANISH kar diya!!!
    Gud poem, hs provided a definition to BOREDOM :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lord..... I pray and I thank ... to give the jo that lil millisecond of boredom ... which made her craft this beautiful banish... to make ppl like us jus get a peep atleast into 1/nth part of JO's brain !

    ReplyDelete