The Little Things in Life...


We try so hard to live by the ideal of “Plan like you were to live forever; but live like you were to die tomorrow”. But it isn’t always that simple, is it? Being optimistic, yet not losing touch of reality; Being enthusiastic, yet remaining practical. The cliché of living in the moment is easier said than done... Because circumstances change and people do not remain the same; friendships fade away and new opportunities seldom come without newer challenges...

Sometimes, LIFE, this moment to moment existence in the face of such cynicism, just bogs you down so much that it is very easy to simply forget your spirit, your reason for being... And, lately I’ve been a frequent flyer to that not-so-cheerful place I hate so much. But, it is in times like these that the numerous little things come together to be my anchor that holds me above water, stops me from sinking into the abyss of depression...

The little things that bring me great joy...

When I feel so lost that I’m a stranger in my own home,
I listen to the peals of the wind chime
And it fills my heart with melodies.
I gaze at the pictures on the walls,
Moments captured for an eternal time,
And it fills my head with memories.

When I feel so lonely that I’m alone in a crowd,
I see the nameless, unfamiliar faces,
And exchange knowing glances, few words, shared smiles
I look at life as it moves on around me, thrives...
Till the beauty returns to empty spaces;
As does the spring in my steps that can carry me for miles.

When I feel like I’ve lost the reason to laugh,
I remember thoughtful messages and long conversations,
A telepathic connection and the unexpected call,
The sweet words of support & stern words of rebuke
Bring to mind the many friends and relations,
All a reminder of bonds that will never fall.


When I feel like I cannot go on
I head out for a walk, letting my feet chart their directions
Under a refreshing breeze, collecting my thoughts
When it seems like there is no purpose to life,
I pull out my bucket list and rediscover my ambitions,
Rediscovering the passion that once seemed lost.

In life things seldom are the way they seem...
Sometimes happy moments may seem far and few.
But when life seems like nothing but a lie,
And reality appears to be an illusion...
Look at the little things to remind you,
That life is as beautiful as the rainbow in the sky.

4 comments:

  1. The true test of optimism lies nt durng the easy times bt when optimism seems to be leavng u whn u need it d most...Evn writng abt hope truly testifies the positivity and kind of optimism wid whch u live ur life...U truly hv counted ur blessngs in ths one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh Dil kitna bhi maange more...Yeh pyaas kitni bhi ho badi...One shud learn to drink those "Little drops of 'Jo'-y"...

    Jo!! U r bang on target!!

    Seedhi baat...No bakwaas...Ekdum clear hai...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Estupendo!!

    a very good combination of poetry and prose
    finally Jo's life found an ariose

    and as the phrase goes
    "when life gives you lemons make lemonade"

    ReplyDelete